01 June - 31 July 2021
dlr Libraries have partnered with the Friends of Joyce Tower Society to present an exhibition of paintings by Charles Hulgraine depicting the many Dublin houses inhabited by the Joyce family. The exhibition will be on display on Level 3 dlr LexIcon until 31 July where copies of Vivien Igoe's publication James Joyce's Dublin Houses will also be available.
A selection of Hulgraine's paintings of these houses have been enlarged for display in Moran Park from 10 June and the exhibition will be officially launched on Bloomsday, Wednesday 16 June.
18 May - 18 July 2021
Hand Weaving Art: Trudy Feighery led students on workshops exploring upcycled materials including the use of 30 bicycle wheels, courtesy of Mike's Bikes - on display along Haigh Terrace.
Installation Art: David King and his students explored the exciting world of installation art culminating in a kinetic mobile art installation - on display along Haigh Terrace.
Stop Motion: Naomi Good worked with her students to create animated short films, bringing static objects to life on the screen - on display in LexIcon Lab.
1 December 2020 - 31 July 2021
In 1821 the name Dunleary or Dun Leary was changed to Kingstown in honour of King George IV’s visit to this bustling and rapidly developing town. In 1920 it was officially given the name Dún Laoghaire, referring back to the original Irish name for Dunleary. It was a deliberate political act during the War of Independence. dlr Libraries acquired nearly 700 postcards of the Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown area from the sale of the Seamus Kearns Collection of Postcards in 2019. These images form the basis of this exhibition and an accompanying publication of the same name (available for €10.00 at dlr LexIcon or Dubray Books) plus a number of talks and videos to mark the centenary. A series of new Lesson Plans for Primary Schools has also been prepared by Dr Séamus Cannon and Ríonach O Callaghan in association with Blackrock Education Centre - see...