The most westerly branch library in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown, Dundrum’s historic
Carnegie Library was opened on 12th August 1914 and was the last to receive a
contribution from Andrew Carnegie before the foundation ofthe UK Trust in 1913.
Designed by R.M. Butler who also designed Cabinteely, Glencullen, Sandyford and
Shankill libraries, the opening was attended by T.W. Lyster, librarian of the
National Library and the Lord Chancellor - W.B. Yeats was also amongst the
It has had many other purposes over the years in addition to its primary
role, being used for concerts, dances, plays, céilís and even jumble sales. Local
people remember the library being used as a school for a time during the 1930s
and 40s. The façade is particularly well-proportioned with its oval window and
ornamented swag over the entrance area. Dundrum Library is the last of Dún
Laoghaire-Rathdown’s Carnegie libraries to celebrate its centenary.
On Wednesday 20th August 2014 at 7.00pm An Cathaoirleach Councillor Marie
Baker will mark the centenary with a celebration in Dundrum Library. We are
pleased to announce that we will have music by the North Strand Kontra Band
with Danial Page (clarinet), Stephen Daly (banjo, violin), Colm O'Hara (Trombone)
and Dave Redmond (double bass).
At 3.45pm Brendan Langley will give a talk on the influential philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Local historian and co-founder of the Dundrum & District Historical Society, John Lennon will follow at 4.45pm with a talk on the history of Dundrum Library itself. Then at 5.45pm, join four poets who have written poems that reference the local area - Pat Deeley, Iggy McGovern, Nessa O'Mahony and Gerry Smyth. All events are free and everyone is welcome but please book your place by phoning Dundrum Library on 298 5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.