Work placement will take place from Monday 26 February - Friday 1 March 2024
What is the Transition Year Work Experience Pilot Programme?
dlr Libraries is delighted to announce that applications are now open for our work experience programme for Transition Year students.
We have developed a programme which will offer the opportunity to observe what goes on behind the scenes in our busy and dynamic library service.
Participants will explore all things Library, from stock management to customer service, event planning to online resources, and will gain hands-on experience as they join the team in one of our library branches.
Who should apply?
We are particularly interested in students who are considering a career in libraries and would like to get a feel for what the job entails.
The programme will also appeal to students who:
- Enjoy working with the public
- Have an interest in literature of any sort, including non-fiction, fiction, graphic novels, children’s works
- Would like to learn more about the role of I.T. within a modern library service
How do I apply?
- An online application form is available HERE from Tuesday 16th of January 2024.
- Download, complete and return the form to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Incomplete forms will not be accepted, so please fill them in carefully.
- The deadline for applications is 5pm on Tuesday 30th of January 2024.
We will let you know if you have been successful by Tuesday 6th of February 2024.
What do I need to know?
- This programme has an extremely limited number of places.
- We are unable to facilitate placements outside of the dates listed above.
- In the instance that the programme is oversubscribed, we will use a ballot system to select applicants. This will be weighted to ensure that applicants from a range of schools are selected.
When and where will I be working?
- Placements will take place from Monday 26th of February to Friday 1st of March 2024 (inclusive).
- We cannot accommodate work placements outside of these dates.
- Placement hours are 10am to 4pm.
- You must be available to attend all five days of the placement.
- Students will have an introductory session in the LexIcon Library and Library Headquarters and will then be assigned to a library branch.
- While we will try to accommodate students’ preference of branch, applicants may be assigned to any one of the following branches: Lexicon, Blackrock, Dalkey, Deansgrange, Dundrum.
What will I be doing in the library?
- You will learn about the various roles within dlr Library Service.
- You will be offered an overview of the wide range of services that the libraries offer including stock management, event programming and online/e-services.
- You will get an insight to the daily running of a library branch while shadowing members of staff.
- Please note that this work experience includes a lot of walking and some lifting/carrying of items. Participants should expect to be on their feet for most of the day.
By submitting your application, you confirm that you (or your parent/guardian if you are aged 16 or under) understand that any personal data that you have supplied to us as part of this application will be processed by us in accordance with our Privacy Statement (Privacy Statement for DLR Libraries). It is necessary for us to have this information in order to process your application and, if successful:
- Send you relevant information about the TY work experience programme before and during your placement
- Provide references to your school after your placement
If your application is successful, we then require your school to hold the appropriate levels of insurance.
I have a question!
If you have any questions, or if you need this information in an alternative format, please contact Emma McKeag on 01 2801147 or email@example.com