Work placement will take place from Monday 6 - Friday 10 March 2023
Applications available online from 17 January 2023
What is the Transition Year Work Experience Programme?
dlr Libraries is delighted to announce that applications are now open for our work experience programme for Transition Year students.
We have developed a programme which will offer the opportunity to observe what goes on behind the scenes in our busy and dynamic library service.
Participants will explore all things Library - from stock management to customer service, event planning to online resources and will gain hands-on experience as they join the team in one of our library branches.
Who should apply?
The programme will appeal to students who:
• Have an interest in literature of any sort, including non-fiction, fiction, graphic novels, children’s works
• Enjoy working with the public
• Are curious about IT and the role it plays within a modern library service
We are particularly interested in students who are considering a career in libraries and would like to get a feel for what the job entails.
How do I apply?
• Online application forms are available to the right hand side of the page.
• Download, complete and return the form to us via email to email@example.com
• Incomplete forms will not be accepted, so please fill them in carefully!
• The deadline for applications is 5pm on Tuesday 31 January 2023.
• We will let you know if you have been successful by Tuesday 7 February 2023.
What do I need to know?
• This programme has an extremely limited number of places.
• We are unable to facilitate placements outside of the dates listed above.
• In the instance that the programme is oversubscribed, we will use a ballot system to select applicants. This will be weighted to ensure that applicants from a range of schools are selected.
When and where will I be working?
• Placements will take place from Monday 6 March to Friday 10 March 2023 inclusive.
• Placement hours are from 10am to 4pm.
• NB: You must be available for the full five days of the placement.
• Students will have an introductory session in the LexIcon Library and Headquarters and will then be assigned to a library branch.
• While we will try to accommodate students’ preference of branch, applicants may be assigned to any one of the following branches: dlr LexIcon, Blackrock, Dalkey, Deansgrange and Dundrum.
What will I be doing in the library?
• You will learn about the various roles within dlr Library Service
• You will be offered an overview of the wide range of services that the libraries offer including stock management, event programming and online and e-services
• You will get an insight to the daily running of a library branch while ‘shadowing’ a member of staff
By submitting your application, you confirm that you (or your parent/guardian if you are aged 16 or under) understand that any personal data that you have supplied to us as part of this application will be processed by us in accordance with the Privacy Statement for DLR Libraries. It is necessary for us to process this information in order to administer your application and, if successful:
• Send you relevant information about the TY work experience programme before and during your placement
• Provide references to your school after your placement
If you are successful, we will require your school to hold the appropriate levels of insurance.
I have a question!
If you have any questions, or if you need this information in an alternative format, please contact Emma McKeag on 01 2801147 or firstname.lastname@example.org